Each of Trekkers’ six classes participates in a different educational expedition within the continental United States every year. Our expedition mentors range in age from the late teens to mid-seventies, and while some have extensive experience in youth development or the outdoors, many do not.
What is my role as an expedition mentor?
The Trekkers model was built upon the principle that programs don’t change lives, relationships do. Following this philosophy, your main priority as an expedition mentor is to build relationships with students. During the expedition we ask that you:
- Be committed to building relationships with ALL participating students.
- Be a positive role model.
- Intentionally start conversations with all students.
- Embrace new experiences, landscapes, outdoor living and travel.
- Supervise students and facilitate positive team dynamics.
- Look for teachable moments to share your gifts and experiences with young people.
The length of our overnight expeditions varies from 2 to 15 days. We also offer short day-trips throughout the year.